One of the most awful parts of navigating a cancer diagnosis is the side effects from treatment.
I got my first up-close and personal taste of this during a very difficult conversation shortly after my 3-year-old son, Kicker, was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. While chatting with another cancer dad, he shared his experiences with his young son and how I needed to prepare for…
- all of the vomiting from chemotherapy
- how Kicker would lose all of his hair
- there would be major mood swings
- most likely, Kicker would have some difficulty walking
- in the next year, we would be hospitalized at least 10 times for secondary infections
This man really was trying to help, and he was gentle in his words. However, I was absolutely horrified, and my “mama bear” mode took over.
As a result, I took matters into my own hands over the next couple of weeks. I didn’t want these things to happen to my son. So, I reached out to our Osteopathic Physician, Nutritionist and Naturopath, and we devised a natural healing protocol. The goal was to help Kicker stay as healthy as possible during the his 3-year chemotherapy treatment.
First, we overhauled his diet. Then, we focused on detoxing his system, as well as, put him on an essential oil and supplement protocol. Basically, we supported him with natural medicine every step of the way!
Thankfully, Kicker never experienced those horrific side effects!
He threw up only one time during treatment, never lost his hair and was never hospitalized for secondary infections. In fact, he actually stayed healthy and vibrant during the entire three and a half years of daily chemo.
So, to help, here’s 10 things we did prior to Kicker receiving the high doses of chemotherapy and before any surgery:
- Take a detox bath every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after. This also includes the day of the procedure, as long as, the surgery site was not exposed to the water. Here’s my detox bath recipe.
- Do castor oil packs every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after. Here’s my castor oil pack instructions.
- Topically apply 2 drops of Zendocrine Essential Oil over the liver after chemotherapy and /or surgery.
- Drink ½ of your body weight in ounces of filtered water daily with 2 drops of doTERRA’s Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oil. Make sure to drink only out of a glass or stainless-steel container, and here’s my favorite water filter.
- After chemotherapy and/or surgery, drink 24 ounces of filtered water with Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oil in it.
- Rebound for 10 minutes every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery.
- Practice 10 minutes of meditation AND prayer every morning before you begin your day. Then, write down 10 positive affirmation. The Headspace App is a great guide, but here’s some simple examples:
- I am healthy.
- I am strong.
- I am capable of healing.
- I am beautiful.
- I am loved.
- I am supported.
- Use Peppermint, Ginger and DigestZen Essential Oils topically and internally 30 minutes before chemotherapy is administered or prior to surgery. Then, use again topically and internally immediately after chemotherapy or waking up from surgery.
- Drink 12 oz. bone broth every day for the week leading up to chemotherapy and surgery. Here’s my recipe.
- Completely remove all sugar and grains for the week leading up to chemotherapy and/or surgery, as well as, for at least one week after.
And as some extra support, here’s a list of 15 healthy snack ideas to bring to the appointments:
- Organic Seaweed – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes – Here’s our favorite.
- Superfood Bars – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Beef Jerky – Here’s our favorite.
- Organic Cucumber with Celtic Sea Salt
- Sliced Apples with Almond Butter Packs or Coconut Butter Packs
- Forager Cashew Yogurt
- Organic Raw Cheese – Here’s our favorite.
- Bone Broth – Here’s my recipe. You can make it ahead of time and store it in a mason jar.
- Organic Green Juice – Here’s our favorite recipe. You can make it ahead of time and store it in a mason jar.
- Plantain Chips with Guacamole – We love these plantain chips, and we get organic mini guacamole containers at Costco.
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Homemade Gummies – Here’s my recipe.
- Kale Chips – Here’s my recipe.
- Homemade granola – Here’s my recipe.
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, there’s no additional charge to you, and I will receive a small commission from the company. This helps to cover the basic costs of this website and allows me to continue providing you with free content. Thanks so much for your support!