When my son, Kicker, was diagnosed with cancer at 3 years old, we immediately locked arms with our team of holistic practitioners, and they put him on a therapeutic protocol complete with supplements and essential oils that benefited his specific needs.
In addition to his regular chemotherapy, he probably took 30 supplements a day (in the form of capsules, as well as, liquid) during his 3.5-year treatment, and we didn’t lighten up on this until he was about 1.5 years post treatment.
Now, we support him and his big sister every day with a nutrient dense diet, an essential oil routine and the supplement protocol listed at the bottom of this post.
However, before we get to their daily supplement protocol, I need to address an important question that you may have:
“How do I know if my child needs to supplement with vitamins?”
Well, to better understand the answer to this question, let’s consider a few facts that are common amongst almost every child:
Lack of variety in diet:
Many of the necessary and vital nutrients your child needs for a healthy body, strong bones, and brain development are found in:
- fresh, organic veggies
- organically raised animal products
- leafy greens
- fermented foods
However, most kids are not likely to consume these nutrient rich foods and instead they tend to consume a lot of processed grains, sugars and juices. Therefore, because they don’t get enough of the vitamins and minerals they need, supplementation is essential.
In this day and age, there is a lot of change in our environmental conditions. For example:
- genetically modified organisms (GMO’s)
- electromagnetic fields (EMF)
- climate changes
As a result, not only are we losing the minerals and nutrients in our soil, in our air and of course, in our food supply, but things like GMO’s, are extremely toxic to your health, especially to your growing children.se
Did you know that upwards of 85% of the foods that are most commonly consumed by children are genetically modified?! (i.e. cereal, crackers, cookies, snack bars, soy milk and baby formula)
Exposure to stress:
According to the American Psychological Association, kids are experiencing significantly more stress today than they were 50 years ago!
Here are some of the common stress triggers amongst children:
- school pressures
- relationships with peers
- family financial struggles
- social media
Not only are these triggers causing more psychological stress on our kids than ever before, but when their body is under stress, they can’t properly digest their food or absorb the needed nutrients.
Excess sugar in the diet:
The National Cancer Institute has found that children between the ages of 4-8 years old are consuming on average, 22 teaspoons of sugar every day!
It also explains the sudden rise in childhood obesity and diabetes, because not only does excess sugar consumption lead to disease, but it also inhibits the absorption of necessary nutrients from our diet.
All this to say, it’s more important now than ever to make sure our kids are getting the necessary nutrients their little bodies need to thrive.
So, here is Selah and Kicker’s current supplement protocol:
- Thorne Vitamin D/K2 – This is one of the most important supplements to help support healthy bones, muscles and heart health. It’s also very important to take Vitamin D with K2, as it allows the body to properly absorb and direct calcium where it needs to go. (Follow the dosage recommendation, and you can order it from Biodynamic Wellness.)
- PB Assist Jr. – This is a great probiotic supplement with over 5 billion live cells of a unique blend of 6 probiotic strains. It supports our kids gut health, which helps with eliminating food and environmental allergies, supports emotional/cognitive function and builds a healthy immune system. (They take this 3x/week, and you can order through doTERRA.)
- Champ Pro – We actually alternate our probiotics to introduce different strains of bacteria to the gut. Did you know that we are more bacteria than human? Therefore, it’s important to continue to feed our body with the good bacteria to help it defeat the harmful bacteria. This specific probiotic works to clear the “hard to eliminate bacteria” in the body and modulates the immune system. They take this 3x/week on the opposite days they take the PB Assist Jr. (Follow the dosage recommendation, and you can order it from Biodynamic Wellness.)
- Quicksilver Vitamin C – This is a very important nutrient to help kids regulate cortisol. (Cortisol helps manage the stress responses in the body. It’s also very helpful for brain health and has cancer fighting properties. (Follow the dosage recommendation, and you can order it from Biodynamic Wellness.)
- Quicksilver Glutathione – Glutathione is the most powerful detox nutrient known today. Coffee enemas are a great way to stimulate the production of glutathione; however, kids are unlikely to do a coffee enema. So, this supplement is a great way to keep their bodies healthy and proactively detoxify. (Follow the dosage recommendation, and you can order it from Biodynamic Wellness.)
- Quinton Isotonic Mineral – This is a very beneficial supplement because it contains up to 78 essential minerals and trace elements that the body relies on for supporting cellular health. It also helps keeps kids hydrated and promotes healthy levels of energy. (They take this 4x/week.)
- OnGuard Softgel – This powerful blend of essential oils supports the immune system. Once my kids began regularly taking these, they were sick less and recovered more quickly when they did become ill. (Follow the dosage recommendation, and you can order through doTERRA.))
- Paleo Valley Organ Delight – This is one of the best sources of B Vitamins, Iron and Amino Acids! I know that most people, especially kids, don’t love the taste of organ meats. So, this supplement is a great alternative. (Follow the dosage recommendation.)
- If your child can’t swallow pills, add a chunk of frozen, raw, organic, grass-fed beef liver to their fruit smoothies. I promise, they won’t taste it at all, but they’ll get all of the good benefits.
One last thought…
I tried to answer the most common question I receive at the top of this post. However, what did I miss? Do you have another supplement question(s) that I can answer? Share in the comments, and I will be glad to help. Thanks!
Please Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links, there’s no additional charge to you, and I will receive a small commission from the company. This helps to cover the basic costs of this website and allows me to continue providing you with free content. Thanks so much for your support!